Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Around London

The second half of my semester abroad has been full of traveling.  I recently had a few weeks of staying in London.  I took full advantage of my time to see more sites.  These are a few pictures from my last couple of weeks in London.

This is a picture of the Apollo theatre, where I saw they play 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.'  The Apollo Theatre is a famous West End theatre known for its tradition.  You can see in the picture, some of the four floors of balconies that are typical with this old-style theatre.  The play itself was amazing and was by far the best I have seen since I got here.

This is the outside of the Globe Theatre, known for the work of William Shakespeare.  It is not the original Globe Theatre, but is a replica of the original, which used to be a few hundred yards away.  The first Globe burnt down to the ground during a performance that included a real cannon.

This is the inside of the theatre.  It features seats three levels high and then a large central area where the poor used to view from.

This is the stage, from the view in the stands.

This is a picture of Portobello Street, the location of Portobello Market.  It is full of little shops that feature mainly antiques.

This is the outside of Harrods, which is an upscale department store.  It also happens to be the largest department store in Europe.  I walked through the store just to see what it was like, as I can't afford to buy anything there.

This is a picture of the tube stop that I live at, South Kensington.  All underground stations have this round symbol.  South Kensington is known for being an upper class royal borough; I'm still wondering how I managed to get a place here.
 
This is a picture from in Hyde Park on what seems like the first nice day since I've been here.  I was lucky enough to be a part of London's coldest winter ever recorded.

The Peter Pan statue located in Hyde Park

This is a picture of the Icebar in London.  Participants must where a black parka and gloves as they drink from a glass made of ice.  It really was cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment